What is The Grand Ball?
The Grand Ball is a renowned international open DanceSport competition hosted annually by Andy and Wendy Wong at The Grand Ballroom. This year’s 20th edition will be held on November 8th, 9th, & 10th, 2013 and will feature the finest dancers from the Pacific Northwest as well as the very best Dancesport competitors from across Canada and the United States. In addition, some of the world’s top-ranked couples from Europe will also be here to showcase their talent and battle for dancing supremacy. It is destined to be a fantastic weekend. Won’t you join us?
The highlight event on Saturday evening – the International Open Standard Championship (Waltz, Tango, Slow Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, Quickstep).
The highlight event on Sunday evening – the International Open Latin Championship (Samba, Cha Cha, Rumba, Paso Doble, Jive).
Confirmed World-Ranked Competitors for Grand Ball 2013
- Kyle Taylor & Polina Shklyaeva, England – 2013 Blackpool Adult Championship Standard – 8th
- Gaetano Iavarone & Emanuela Napolitano, Italy- 2013 Blackpool Adult Championship Standard – 11th
- Tereza Kizlo & Vjacelavs Visnakovs, Latvia – 2011 Blackpool Rising Star Latin Champions
- Joel Lopez Gomez & Kristina Bespechnova, Spain – 2012 World Under 21 Latin Champions
- Petar Daskalov & Zia James, Denmark – 2013 Blackpool Under 21 Championship – 2nd
- Patrick Rucinsky & Ella Nusenbaum, Canada – 2013 World Under 21 Standard Championship – 2nd
- Mihai Paraschiv & Diandra Illes, Romania – 2013 German Open Youth Ten Dance Champion
- Yaroslav Bieliei & Virginie Primeau, Canada – 2013 Blackpool Adult Championship Standard – 18th
- Alexander Chernositov & Regina Maziarz, USA – 2013 US National Ten Dance Champions
Tips for First Time Guests to The Grand Ball
There is nonstop competitions and exhibitions from 10 am to midnight. The main event on Saturday evening is the Championship Standard competition (Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, Quickstep) and on Sunday night it is the Championship Latin competition (Samba, Cha Cha, Rumba, Paso Doble, Jive). Have a look at the above video clips and you will have a good idea of the world-class dancing that you will see.
For the evening sessions, doors will open at 6 pm but instead of coming right at 6, go and have a nice dinner and be at the ballroom around 8:30 pm. That way, you will catch the most exciting events of the evening without getting too tired from watching all night. All seats provide excellent unobstructed viewing of the entire dance floor and your ticket number is your seat number. Dress code is smart casual to semi-formal.
If you purchase an evening ticket, you can come to the day session for free. It is included in your ticket.
Grand Ball 2013 Complete Brochure
Click here for The Complete Grand Ball 2013 Brochure »
Amateur Competitor Online Registration
Click here for Amateur Competitor Events Online Registration ».
Grand Ball 2013 will be a three day event encompassing a full slate of amateur competitions for all age groups and levels — starting from Newcomer all the way to the elite Open Amateur Championship class. In addition, GB2013 will be the largest Pro-Am competition and showcase in Western Canada. If past years’ events are any indication, then next year’s edition will receive over 1000 entries and surpass 2000 in total attendance.
Admission Tickets are now available for purchase online – click the icon below:
- Deluxe All-Weekend Pass — all seats $190.00
- Friday, Nov. 8 (evening ticket — all seats) $70.00
- Saturday, Nov. 9 (All day ticket — all seats) $70.00
- Sunday, Nov. 10 (All day ticket — all seats) $70.00
- Saturday day session only (open seating) $25.00
- Sunday day session only (open seating) $25.00
- Sunday day session Junior & Juvenile (open seating) $22.00
Ballroom Seating Plan
Grand Ballroom overall seating plan PDF: 112 KB
Photos of South, North, East and West Risers PDF: 276 KB
Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport (10 min from ballroom)
10720 Cambie Road (adjacent to Highway 99)
Richmond, B.C. Canada
Single to double occupancy: $89.00 Canadian. Be sure to mention ‘The Grand Ball’ and book before Oct. 15th.
Professionally recorded videos of this weekend’s events will be available for purchase. Video cameras are not permitted except during childrens events on Sunday.
Picture This, Andrew Leung
GT Video FX, Gordon & Tana Chew
Deadline for Competition Entries:
Deadline for competitor entries is October 15, 2013.
Download More Information:
Click on the document title to download these PDF files. In order to view the Adobe Acrobat PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat (version 4.0 or higher) installed on your computer system. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free, and freely distributable, software that lets you view and print Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
|Document Title||File Type and Size|
|Grand Ball 2013 Complete Brochure||PDF: 1.2 MB|
|Grand Ball 2013 Preliminary Schedule||PDF: 48 KB|
|Hotel Information||PDF: 312 KB|
|Ticket Order Form||PDF: 110 KB|
|Video Order Form||PDF: 143 KB|
|Amateur Scholarships & Top Teacher Awards Table||PDF: 143 KB|
|Sponsorship Application Form||PDF: 135 KB|
|Amateur Entry Form||PDF: 120 KB|
|Pro-Am Group Competition Entry Form||PDF: 112 KB|
|Pro-Am Solo & Multi-Dance Entry Form||PDF: 104 KB|
|Summary of Entry Fees & Ticket Purchases||PDF: 100 KB|
|Adult Competition Rules & Regulations||PDF: 148 KB|
|CDF Standard syllabus step list||PDF: 148 KB|
|CDF Latin syllabus step list||PDF: 148 KB|
|CDF American Smooth & Rhythm syllabus step list||PDF: 148 KB|
|Pro-Am Rules of Competition & Explanation||PDF: 300 KB|